Labels

Friday, June 15, 2012

Natural Unmedicated Childbirth

            So this is a relatively large subject to cover so I am going to break it down into options and explain them each, in depth. Natural Childbirth is defined as a method of childbirth characterized by the absence of anesthetics, in which the expectant mother is given special breathing and relaxing exercises. Even though there are no medications given to the mother to relieve pain she manages pain with many different techniques. Natural Childbirth is not for everyone but it was something I felt very strongly about. I feel as though going to a hospital to have my daughter stripped me of my right to choose how I labored. There are several options you can choose to have a natural birth experience.
-Certified Nurse Midwife [CNM] in a hospital
            This was the option i tried first, i felt that it fit my want for a natural birth but i still had the security of a hospital setting [what i thought was better at the time]. I started with my first midwife, Dr. Kay at university hospitals. She was wonderful and i would highly recommend her to anyone in the Cleveland area who thinks that this option is for them. Unfortunately, my insurance did not cover UH hospitals so i was forced to switch midwives. I switched to a practice of midwives at the Cleveland clinic and right away i did not feel comfortable. I wanted my own doctor to trust and be comfortable with but that was not an option for me. I was diagnosed with placenta previa and was forced to go to an OB. My placenta previa resolved itself by 25wk. but the midwives refused to care for me because i was considered high risk because of an issue that has now been resolved. I never did get my personal, trusting, caring relationship with my doctor that i wanted. The doctor that delivered my daughter i met only moments before and even though my birth plan was printed out and handed to every member of my birth team they promptly informed me that they were going to start my IV and get me ready for my epidural because i was not allowed to get out of bed. I feel as though hospitals are set up as a business and they just want to get you in and out of their rooms as soon as possible.



-Midwife at a homebirth
              The biggest difference between giving birth to your baby at home instead of in a hospital setting is that, at home you're in charge and everyone supports you. There are obvious advantages to having your baby at home; you'll feel secure in your own familiar surroundings and you can have as much privacy as you want. Your partner, older siblings, family, and friends can all be involved as much as you want in your labor experience. You will have a major say in your labor and you will be able to easily avoid the routine medical interventions that can often do more harm than good. You'll be able to see one midwife throughout your prenatal care and labor experience and there is no danger of being separated from your partner or your baby after labor. Bonding and breastfeeding are encouraged to happen spontaneously after birth. This is the option i will be choosing for all of my birth experiences. Also, I don't know about you but have you ever heard a mother say that she doesn't want control over her body and her baby during birth. . . A hospital setting will not give you any of this.



-CNM at a birthing center.
            A lot of people say that this option can be the best of both worlds. Personally it scares me because of my previous experience with giving birth in a medical facility. But this option will give you a lot more control over your birth plan than a normal hospital setting but with the added benefit of have a high tech medical facility at your fingertips in case of an emergency. Another benefit to this is that there will be no mess in your house to clean up and also you MAY be able to get insurance to cover this.



With all of these options you can choose to hire a doula to help support you through labor.



             A doula is an experienced woman who offers emotional, physical, and informational help or support during and after the birth of your baby. Some doulas are willing to live in for a few weeks after the birth of your baby. A doula is trained and experienced in childbirth and baby care, but is not medically qualified. The doulas purpose is to make sure that women have a safe, memorable, and empowering birth experience.

I will be linking with the pistachio project.

No comments:

Post a Comment